Cybersecurity experts in trend
The shortage of qualified cybersecurity specialists (as well as quality cyber security courses) in the world grows every day. According to the Global Workforce Study (ISC) 2020, the global cybersecurity talent gap reached 3.12 million people in 2020.
The COVID-19 outbreak has had a profound impact on this process. March 2020 was marked by the dramatic intro of the WFH – work-from-home approach. That stimulated an increase in the demand for cybersecurity specialists.
Microsoft has moved about 80% of its employees to work remotely. Other giants – Amazon, Facebook, Google – have not left far behind – they have transferred up to 76% of employees to WFH online. Apple and other multinational companies are no exception. Remote business processes in these companies are well established and relatively well protected. The same cannot be said about many other companies that still have not been able to ensure the cybersecurity of their business processes at the proper level. And many of them are looking for cybersecurity specialists right now, but not all of them find the right professional.
Cybersecurity is at the top in the era of remote everything
Meanwhile, during the pandemic, cybercriminals have intensified their efforts significantly, taking advantage of vulnerabilities in remote processes and weak internal cybersecurity systems in vulnerable companies.
Leading McAfee experts in their report “The Hidden Costs of Cybercrime” stated that in 2020 cybercriminals caused at least $ 1 trillion in damage.
Almost every modern company has websites, applications, cloud or on-premises software, network devices, on which the efficiency and profitability of the entire business depends. If any of these elements is damaged due to intruders, the company loses money and often suffers reputational losses.
Researches state, that more than 92% of attacked companies reported that cyberattacks caused them not only financial losses but also loss of reputation. Besides, the costs of investigating violations and failures in work processes began to rise. And cyberattacks aimed at economic spying, theft of intellectual property, and financial extortion cost companies the most.
Phishing attacks cause significant losses in varied business domains every year. According to the Google Transparency Report, December 6, 2020, there were 2.046 million unsafe phishing websites on the Internet, which is 21% more than in 2019 (1.690 million).
For example, for Google and Facebook, losses associated with phishing exceed $ 100 million. The Belgian Creland Bank “gave” cyber criminals more than $ 75 million, while the Austrian manufacturer of components for aerospace systems FACC lost more than $ 61 million.
Good cybersecurity specialists can protect against phishing and other cyber attacks, but not all companies have such specialists.
What a cybersecurity specialist should learn
The core of cybersecurity specialist activity is to identify all kinds of cyber threats and prevent attackers from harming the company through cyber attacks.
Cybersecurity Specialist tasks:
- analyzing and assessing external and internal risks, vulnerabilities, and possible cyber threats,
- engaging in the prevention of cyberattacks on the company’s resources,
- using varied protection tools in their work,
- being a part of the software development team, handling user data protection,
- penetration testing (testing of resistance to cracking of software and software) and so on, depending on the direction and activities of the company.
What a cyber security course should include:
- the fundamental knowledge of computer networks structure and how it works,
- the architecture of a personal computer and other frequently used devices,
- the basics of several programming languages, cryptography, and its algorithms,
- the specific tools, services, and software for protection, hacking, and testing for cyberattacks,
- the details about all existing network threats and ways of countering them,
- practicing proper use of all this knowledge.
Most beginners in cybersecurity may decide to take a course from professionals or at least engage in series of specific educational webinars, in which skilled professionals can quickly and correctly convey the knowledge and share their experience.
If you decided to become a cybersecurity specialist and need the above mentioned knowledge, and want to quickly learn and put into practice how to
- conduct a network security audit and analyze traffic,
- ensure high-level security and performance,
- protect access to devices,
- protect staff from phishing,
- monitor devices and securely manage them remotely,
- create a high-quality secure work environment
- develop a comprehensive security policy, and even more,
Then we invite you to our series of Futurism Forum webinars.
Contact us regarding the next session, and subscribe to stay tuned 👇🏼
The UAE is set to become the World Leaders in AI by 2031 & The National AI Strategy 2031. Learn more about how they are planning to bring this to life.